VP of Data Engineering
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Do you want to get a foot in the door at an online Advertising and Media company that has seen tremendous growth? Do you want to work in the world of online video; one of the fastest growing advertising formats in the world? Then Playwire is the place for you…
Playwire Media is a full-service digital innovation partner that leverages online advertising and proprietary technologies to build publishing brands in the gaming and entertainment verticals.
To keep pace with our explosive growth, Playwire seeks a talented professional to join our team as our first VP of Data Engineering. Data is an essential part of Playwire’s operation; every department within the company has complex data needs that are only partially fulfilled today, with too much data siloed in individual third-party systems, making analysis difficult and time-consuming. But additionally, data forms the basis for the technical work our team does to drive better advertising outcomes for our customers through predictive analytics. As our data warehousing expands from tens of billions to trillions of rows of data this year, it’s essential that we bring on a thoughtful leader who can organize our data efforts across a variety of use cases, and help us craft a data architecture that can stand the test of time.
The successful candidate will be a domain expert who can discover requirements, evaluate technologies, deeply understand the complexities of our tech and ad stack, and craft a vision for data excellence – then execute upon it. This is a leadership role; you’ll manage and lead data engineers in their development of our architecture, but also provide leadership and education to nontechnical teams looking to expand and improve their data practice. With touchpoints in all of these teams, you’ll also help us understand how data provides the backbone for better cross-team processes.
We want people who are disciplined but also creative, and unafraid to jump into projects that will be seen and used by millions of people. You’ll immediately be one of the most senior members a technology team with a wide variety of responsibilities and opportunities. This position requires full-time employment; availability at our main office in Boca Raton, FL is preferred, but remote work is a possibility.
- Own our data infrastructure, making sure it is durable, flexible, and scalable.
- Manage the roadmapping and execution of our data technology strategy.
- Hands-on leadership of the data engineering team, with a willingness to get your hands dirty to show your team members how it’s done.
- Use your expertise to evaluate technologies and architectures, and to establish best practices for data engineering.
- Work closely with multiple teams, but most importantly our technology, Yield Ops, and product teams, to understand the company’s data needs and craft the needed solutions.
- Communicate your progress to senior management, especially the CTO.
- Evangelize a vision for data usage across the company.
- 3+ years managing high-performing technical teams in an environment of rapid development and company growth.
- 3+ years providing data engineering leadership.
- 3+ years experience in online technology teams.
- Experience working in a team using Agile development and project management practices.
- Experience with AWS’s big data technologies.
- Demonstrable expertise designing and building big data systems and architecture.
- Demonstrable experience working with data warehouses and data visualization and analysis technologies.
- Experience with digital ad servers, SSPs, or ad exchanges.
- Experience with digital advertising units, terminology and standards.
- Experience deploying machine learning technologies in production environments.